Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Power of Positive Thinking

First things first, I weighed in today at 192.4! That's down 1.4 pounds from last week, and 9.0 pounds total in the past 5 weeks! Yippee!!! I promised to write about what I was changing for Fitness Friday a couple weeks ago, but I forgot... I started taking a multi-vitamin. I know I don't get enough of the nutrients I need, so I started taking a supplement that is formulated for women my age. Added bonus- it helps hair & nails grow, too! Anyway, I haven't noticed much of a difference yet. That could be because I take it at night so I remember. But, I do know it's important to weight loss as well as overall health, so I am sticking with it!

Now let me say, I have no idea how it's happening. I have not been tracking my points like I am supposed to, I have been eating out a TON, and I really haven't increased my activity enough to count for anything. I have to believe that the one thing I have going for me is thinking positively. I set myself a goal (lose 50 pounds in 1 year) and I broke down that goal into something I could do (1 pound per week). Every time I step onto my scale, I imagine in my head what I want to see on that scale. Wouldn't you know? I am within a half pound of that goal every time! Sometimes, the scale agrees with me exactly!

I am not saying that thoughts alone can make you lose weight. But I think there is some relevance to the fact that I think about my goal all the time. I shop for groceries with my goal in mind. I think about how my meal might effect my goal when I order at restaurants. I imagine myself in new, smaller clothes. I tell others about my accomplishments and my goals. Thinking about my goal consciously changes my habits subconsciously. So, without even realizing it, I am changing behavior to help accomplish my goal.

This does not excuse me from being deliberate with my efforts. I can only imagine what I could lose every week if I really tried hard! However, it does comfort me to know that staying focused doesn't have to be as much work as I sometimes make it out to be. I'm not failing, I am falling forward. Every week I learn more about myself, and I grow while shrinking ;)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your success! Your taking the baby maker pill aren't you? I was talking to Brittany and she (and her gay guy friend too) are taking it for the same reason as you to help with nail and hair growth. Maybe I should get on this train too, seems to be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I am taking prenatals, but just to clarify for anyone else reading, I am not pregnant, nor trying at the moment :)

    It's funny that you call it the baby maker pill. Jon is convinced that prenatal vitamins make women more fertile. He doensn't quite understand the concept of vitamins I guess!

    ReplyDelete